Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Journal Entry 2: Save The Children


As I live this wonderful life abroad here in London, I come in constant contact with visual representations in the media that remind me of how truly blessed I am. One specific instance that I have come into contact with is a form of media for social change that was playing on the television screens at the YMCA gym here in Central London. As countless music video’s played one after the other on Britain’s Top 40 featuring the rich and famous of today’s pop icons, an add by the organization Save the Children was a dramatic change in tone during a commercial break. This specific commercial was actually too difficult for me to even watch. I found myself looking away at the horrid conditions experienced by these helpless children countries away in impoverished cities. The commercial had a clear narrative structure. The commercial began depicting specific children who are dying of starvation and mal nutrition. The visuals of these children were horrific to see as they depicted children depending on a respirator to breathe due to infection and in essence they were literally skin and bones. I was caught so off guard by this ad, I paid specific attention to its message. The narrative went on to describe that with only two pounds a month, these dying children have a chance to live. They then depicted children who have been saved by these donations and are no longer in desperate need of nutrition. Overall with a story narrative in which they feature real children in need and then showing the results of a donation as a happy ending encourages the viewer to become involved. The target audience for such an ad would definitely be of viewers over the age of 30. The audience would consist of mothers who are sympathetic or people of financial stability who are willing to donate. I found it odd, however, that they chose to feature this commercial on a network such as Britain’s Top 40. Viewers of that channel are probably not the ideal target audience. However, the more exposure for the campaign the better for the organization. This fundraising group's work is the most occurring social change media material that I have come in contact with while here in London. Every visit to the gym and nearly every time while watching television in my flat, I have scene several different campaigns they have produced for their cause. Their wide exposure has made their organization the most prominent in both my mind and the various other people in our program when we have discussed commercials in London. I went onto their website to further investigate the organization. What is so unique about this group is how personal it is. As I mentioned, their commercials center around a structured narrative focusing on specific children and their stories. Their website is no different. Their supporters who donate are featured individually on the site with their stories and a picture to show who they are. They feature the children and their unique stories and provide an update to their situation. They have a live news stream and an entire video gallery that features their work. Overall, I am in awe of the work this organization has done and the exposure they have produced. Their commercials have become a common existence in my television viewing here in London. Consequently, they have sparked great interest in me without even realizing due to its constant subliminal exposure. This ad was my favorite video produced by the organization:



To access their website go to:
http://bornto.savethechildren.org.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment